If you have been charged with a crime, or you think you may be the subject of a criminal investigation, it is in your best interest to contact a qualified criminal defense attorney. It is better to seek legal advice sooner rather than later, so your attorney can protect you from making critical errors that could have a devastating effect on the outcome of your case.
There are nine actions you should take if charged with a crime:
- Exercise your right to remain silent.
- Stay quiet, calm, and polite.
- Call an attorney.
- Do not post bail until you have spoken with a lawyer.
- Be honest with your attorney.
- Avoid talking to friends and family about the arrest.
- Make notes of what you remember.
- Make a list of all witnesses.
How can I avoid a lifetime of problems from my recent arrest?
Having a criminal record will affect many areas of your life for years to come. Even a minor criminal offense on your record can impact you in the following areas:
- Driver’s license restrictions
- Pilots’ and medical licenses
- Your employer has the right to fire you if you miss work to go to court
- Most employers require criminal background checks, making it more difficult to find employment
- Rights to own a firearm
- Serving time in prison can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Lease agreements
- Mortgage Loans
- Child custody and visitation
- More severe penalties for future criminal convictions, even for minor offences
One of the best choices you can make for your future is to hire a qualified Orange criminal defense attorney who is familiar with the local court system, judges, and other attorneys. Having firsthand knowledge of the other parties involved in your case will help your attorney as he fights to get your charges reduced or dropped. Attorney Bearden is both a judge and an experienced criminal defense attorney and has a proven track record of successfully defending his clients against criminal charges.
Having attorney Bearden on your side from the very beginning enables him to build a stronger case for your defense.
Jim Sharon will advise you so that you do not mistakenly say the wrong thing to the police or other law enforcement. Often individuals believe they can explain their side of the story in a way that will protect them. They may speak to others, including the police, about the case and then find themselves in a very difficult situation with the potential for a disappointing outcome.
The police are trained to gather statements from you that they can, and likely will, use against you. They may even lie to you in the interest of garnering information that may incriminate you. When you are under investigation, law enforcement is not looking out for your interests. Having a criminal defense attorney by your side will protect you from making a devastating mistake that could alter your future.
The best action to take if charged with a crime is to hire an Orange County, Texas criminal defense attorney immediately.
You can improve your chances of dismissal or reduced charges and better protect your future quality of life by speaking with criminal defense lawyer Jim Sharon Bearden as soon as you are charged with a crime or know you may be under investigation.
He will work diligently to fight for your rights and use every angle possible to secure the best outcome for you. Do not delay. Contact Jim Sharon today to discuss your case.